Sunday, March 28, 2010

Premiere Elements 8 (What the HECK!!!)

I CAN NOT believe this garbage!!! 

I have been messing with HD video editing for about 4 weeks and am BEYOND FRUSTRATED!!!!!  I have tried every software only to find that they don’t work very well with HD video.  UGH!!!  I got PE 7 as a trail, learned to use it and decided that I would purchase it today.  When I went to purchase it I got version 8 and sure enough, it locks up.  I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS CRAP!!!

It starts up with this silly and useless splash screen and asks if it a new project...  then when the app loads you still have to load the project.  What a waste of time.  However, the real issue is when I add M2ts files to the time line the STUPID SOFTWARE LOCKS UP!!!!  THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

Here are my PC specs

vista 64

Intel i7 920

AUSU P6E Motherboard

6G ram

Nvidia Quadro 1800 diver 191

i have a meeting tomorrow to review video and the stupid software i just purchased doesnt work...

Premiere Elements 8 (What the HECK!!!)

Please tell us all about your MPEG files. Where did they come from? How did you get them onto your computer? How did you Import them into your Project? Are the muxed (Audio %26amp; Video), or elemental stream? What CODEC was used to create them?

These can all be important factors - thanks,

Hunt

Premiere Elements 8 (What the HECK!!!)

This ARTICLE could be useful helping you diagnose program crashes, and finding ''clues'' as to what is happening just before and during the crash.

Good luck,

Hunt

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on setting up your computer for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

This FAQ ARTICLE will give you tips on optimizing Vista for NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

the stupid software i just purchased doesnt work...

Along these same lines, most issues with NLE software, and not just Adobe, come from these areas, and usually in this order:

1.) System - you've told us some things, but what about your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, free space, speed, controller type and how they are allocated?

2.) Assets - This is the info that I ask for above and it is very important.

3.) Project - What Project Preset did you choose? Does this exactly match your Assets? It should.

Good luck,

Hunt

The video came from my Panasonic HDC-HS300 cam corder.  I got the files by copy and paste.  When I plugged in my camera I treated the hard drive like I would any other and located the files and ctrl-c ctrl-v.  The files are not mpeg, they are m2ts.

I have 2 500G 7200rpm hard drives.  When it crashed the first time the files were on my media drive when it crashed, I placed them on software drive to see if that was an issue.

I will check on the new project settings and make sure I have it set up correctly.  If I am the only person having issues then I must have something set up wrong.

UGH!!!  THis HD Video stuff is tough.

what is up with that splash screen that opens first?  You enter in information and it does nothing.

The-Russ

First about the Premiere Elements 8 opening/Welcome Screen

Hunt asked about this today, and below is a copy of my response to him on the matter:

Hunt

I cannot confirm the details that you presented. I am not sure if there is some confusion on the part of the user between an early seen tab that says New Project and the New Project dialog itself. Because, once you have the New Project “dialog” itself as you want it and click OK to it, it is a one way street to the opening of the Premiere Elements 8 workspace.

Let me go over the step by step details to see if we can determine what is happening or not happening in the case of the user. I am working from the tryout, so the routine should be the same, maybe plus or minus some tryout associated dialogs.

1. Click on the Premiere Elements 8 icon on the Desktop.

2. The Premiere Elements 8 Welcome Screen opens with promotional stuff to the right. On the left is our functional area: Organizer Tab, New Project Tab, and Open Project Tab. Up at the top right corner of the Welcome Screen (near the close X button) is an icon. When you click on that, you get 3 options for how you prefer the Welcome Screen to open after you hit that Premiere Elements 8 icon on the Desktop:

a. Just show the Welcome Screen

b. Always Launch Elements Organizer behind Welcome Screen

c. Always Launch Elements Editor behind Welcome Screen

Whichever choice you make, you are going to get that Welcome Screen coming up after hitting the Desktop icon. If you had picked “b”, the Organizer Tab would automatically have a stream like icon running, indicating that the Organizer was loading. So it saved you the time clicking on the Organizer Tab. And, if you had picked “c”, the New Project Tab would automatically have a stream like icon running, indicating that the Elements Editor was loading. So it saved you the time clicking on the New Project Tab. I prefer to leave it with “Just show the Welcome Screen” and then click either the Organizer, New Project, or Open Project tab. (I have not found a way to liquidate the Welcome Screen entirely.)

3. Onward. In my case with tryout, I next get an “Install Full Content” dialog to which I click OK. Then comes the typical Tryout Setup (27 days left…) dialog to which I click Next.

4. Then you get that window that I described in a previous thread, the one with the menu bar across the top (File/Edit/Clip/Timeline/Disc/Title/Window/Help) and everything else in the Window completely a light gray color. Keep in mind that so far we have not seen the New Project dialog itself. So what you do now is go to the File Menu in this light gray window and click New/Project. That brings up the New Project dialog itself. After you have that set as you want and click OK, the Premiere Elements workspace opens in the new project that you have designated in the New Project dialog (the one and only).

The above is the longer version of what I wrote previously.

Next with regard to your Premiere Elements 8 crashing with use of video files with the file extension of .m2ts. These sound like AVCHD 1920 x 1080. Based on your experiences with Premiere Elements 7, I guess that you know the drill with regard to editing AVCHD in Premiere Elements 7...system resources and such. You mention the RAM situation which is addressing down from 4 GB for a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. How much free RAM does your computer actually have, 3 GB or less?? And, how much free hard drive space does your computer have? But, I guess that you have been there and done that. There seems to be an epidemic of computer/Premiere Elements problems related to updates for the NVIDIA drivers. Have you been following that? The following is an Adobe TechNote on troubleshooting specifically Premiere Elements 8

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/514/cpsid_51427.html

It may look extremely similar to the one for the Premiere Elements 7 version, but I would check it out anyway.

ATR

The files are not mpeg, they are m2ts.

ATR,

Thank you for the quick and informative explanation of the startup and the New Project dialog box. I had assumed that things might well have changed, but had no clue exactly how they might. I knew that you were in the middle of a full evaluation of the product, so I asked.

Appreciated,

Hunt

The files are not mpeg, they are m2ts.

Hunt

That Panasonic HDC-HS300 is a 120 GB hard drive camcorder that records AVCHD (video codec: MPEG-4/AVC H.264) 1920 x 1080i/60i which I read as 60 fields per second (30 frames per second) if this a NTSC camcorder. The sound is 5.1 channel. It can also record to a SD or SDHD memory card. So, for best results, the user should be using a project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 5.1 channel. At this point, I am bypassing the use of the new project presets for Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders HD 1080i30 and/or HD 1080i30(60i) rather than bring in additional variables. The main objective should be to get video to the Timeline without crashes. If Fields issue, then we can use Field Options on the Timeline when and if necessary.

Granted the files are large and computer resources/RAM/free hard drive space/processor, etc. are always a major concern. But, I saw something in the specs that I wondered about. In one place it showed 1920 x 1080i/60i/24p. By any chance is the user shooting 24p instead of 60i?

ATR

ATR,

Thanks for the info. It will be interested to see what Project Preset the OP chose.

Good luck with your ''project.''

Hunt

a BIG NO LUCK!!!

I tried every HD setting and nothing worked.  What a JOKE.  I did not have a single problem in 7 and now 8 doesnt work.

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment