Friday, March 26, 2010

Question on Sequences and how best to...

Hi all,

I am used to Premiere Pro v6 and I have recently moved to CS4.1.

Could you explain to me how best and why to use multiple sequences for a single project in Premiere Pro CS4.1??I understand that you can have different formats on each, but I was wondering if there was a technique for using multiple sequences for a large project, eg a wedding where each scene could have a different sequence.?Am I on the right track.


If so, then how does one preview edited footage that spans multiple sequences?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Question on Sequences and how best to...

It all depends on your workflow, but personally when doing large projects, I prefer to work on smaller pieces first. Your example of a wedding could easily be broken down into sequences like intro, preparation, ceremony, reception, party and background material. Then make a master sequence where you combine all the sequences into this master sequence. It also makes it easy to place chapter markers at the beginning of each smaller sequence and it makes the overview of the project a lot easier. It also makes it easier to maintain a semblance of organization in the project bins.

When I did a sailing movie last year (http://vimeo.com/1122531) I had different sequences for St. Maarten, Jost van Dijke, Virgin Gorda, The Baths, The Bitter End, Saba and again St. Maarten, plus the intro and the end sequence. When all of these parts were finished, it was simply a matter of putting all in a master sequence and go to Encore.

Question on Sequences and how best to...

The key to using multiple sequences is called 'nesting'.?This is the process of dropping one sequence into another as if it were just an ordinary clip.

Nesting is how you assemble the many parts of a project into a whole.?Nesting is how you apply effects across an entire range of clips.?Nesting allows the easy arrangement of scenes within a program, each scene containing many different shots.?Nesting is the most powerful advancement in Premiere Pro over the older, single timeline Premiere.

There will be amny other differences, as well.?I very strongly suggest a thorough read through the Help file.

From a workflow standpoint, I treat Sequences like ''chapters.'' I edit these, as one would ''scenes,'' or ''chapters.'' I then Import each, as a Timeline, into Encore and assemble the final Project that way.

If I am doing, say a multi-disc Project, that does not have real ''chapters,'' I use Sequences to break apart the multi-disc Projects, by the disc on which they will be used.

From a technical standpoint, as you mention, they can allow for the use of different formats. This function was added in CS4, as one establishes the Sequences per the attributes of the footage in that Sequence.

Hope that this helps you.

Good luck,

Hunt

For a good overview of CS4, I strongly recommend that you bookmark THIS site. Refer to it often for answers to questions (FAQ area), and also tutorials.

If you cannot find it on the PrPro-Wiki, then this forum is another great resource.

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks Jim and everyone here.?Nesting of sequences is exactly what I needed to know.?I have tried it and it is great.?Something that I remember being frustrated I didn't have with Premiere Pro 6.0.

Thanks again!

Yes, Nesting is great. Can't remember if it was added in PrPro 1.0, but was there by PrPro 2.0. I tip-toed around it, cursing no easy way to do some of the things that I wanted. Finally dug into it, and the cursing stopped. I did have to wipe a lot of ''egg'' off my face though. Glad that no one here heard my mutterings...

Hunt

  • great wear
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment