Sunday, March 28, 2010

Renaming photos multiple times

Do you degrade an image in any way by renaming it several different times??Same question in regards to adding more keywords to an image??Do I need to worry about how many times I rename or add metadata?

Renaming photos multiple times

If you are talking about Raw, tiff or PSD files and other formats that are

not compressing data like jpeg it does not.

For jpeg files I'm not sure, I would not think so because you only change

and save the xmp data.

Changing settings in the pixel area in an already before compressed file

does affect the image quality but that is also depending on how much you

change, what quality of compressing was used the first time and other

factors.

It is obvious that a max or high quality saved jpeg does suffer less from

altering and resaving then a low quality file will do.

Do you degrade an image in any way by renaming it several different times??/p>

Same question in regards to adding more keywords to an image??Do I need to

worry about how many times I rename or add metadata?

Renaming photos multiple times

I am talking about a JPEG and/or NEF image immediately after download from a card reader to the computer (using Bridge) before I have done any editing of the actual photo itself in another program such as Elements 6 for Mac, Lightroom 2.5, or Capture NX2.?I sometimes change my mind after initially renaming a photo (in Bridge) and go back and rename it (sometimes several different times).?I also change the keywords and other metadata more than once sometimes.?I just wanted to make sure I am not degrading the actual photo itself in some way by doing this.?You don't ''save'' the image after renaming or changing the metadata, so I don't know how Bridge actually retains the changes you have made.?

I'm 100 % sure the NEF is not affected with resaving metadata like iptc or

keywords.

Not 100 % sure although close to I don't think the jpeg file will have any

viewable quality loss result with metadata and keyword.

Bridge saves the metadata to the file after you hit OK or enter key when

finishing with metadata, renaming and keywords.

But to be sure you can easily test it your self.

Take a jpg file and select this in Bridge, use the edit menu and choose

duplicate. Select the duplicate jpeg file and start adding renaming, iptc

and key wording several times. Then open both the original (not changed)

file and the several times changed file in PS and view at 100 % (you can

even select both files in Bridge and use loupe to zoom in at 100%)

Then judge by yourself if you can see any significant difference

Thanks, Omke.?Will try that.?If anyone knows for sure about the JPG and any resulting loss, would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment