Sunday, March 28, 2010

Am I being left behind?

A friend showed me how to use (and he installed) Dreamweaver about 7 years ago, not being technical I wondered if what I am still using (MX 2004) is a hinderence in terms of building webpages that rank highly in Google.

When you create a new page it has some code at the top and I'm wondering if mine is out of date -

%26lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC ''-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN''%26gt;

I don't even know if I am able to upgrade or if I need to buy Dreamweaver from scratch.

Thanks

James

Am I being left behind?

Hi

The doctype you show is still valid and recommended (for html).

As for mx2004 vs cs4, this is one you will have to decide for yourself. Yes cs4 makes building and coding standards compliant sites easier, but there is nothing (code wise), that one can do in cs4 that cannot be done in mx2004, it is more a case of 'helper' functions such a 'live code', and plug-ins/extensions that are only available in/for cs4.

There is also the fact that that one can at present purchase the upgrade to cs4 from mx2004 (check for your location first at -http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/upgrade/?view=available ), but one will probably not be able to upgrade to cs5 from mx2004. If you are uncertain try the trial version, or watch a video on the features of cs4, to see if it is worth upgrading, (http://tv.adobe.com/product/dreamweaver/).

PZ

Am I being left behind? The doctype you show is still valid and recommended (for html).

Hi again

Just to let you know that you do not have to uninstall mx2004 to use cs4, both programs can be installed on your computer (but not used at the same time). This means that you can still use any extensions you have for mx2004, and edit/create sites in mx2004, and only update them to cs4 if you wish to do so.

PZ

Nadia-P wrote:

'It's not the full doctype though.

No comments:

Post a Comment