Friday, March 26, 2010

Have 8 Gb ram now, will 16 gb be...

Hello everyone,

I just had my quad core system upgraded from 4 gigs of memory to 8 this week, and am now wondering if upgreading to 16 Gb of ram on the motherboard would be worthwhile for use with Premiere

Thanks for any suggestions !?much apreciated.

Have 8 Gb ram now, will 16 gb be...

Sine you have a quad core, you have a LGA 775 mobo and DDR2 RAM, right? In that case I would keep it at 8 GB.

Now, when CS5 comes out and proves to be 64 bit and you upgrade to Win7 64, it will be around time to move up to a Gulftown hex-core or get an i7-9xx CPU on a LGA 1366 board, X58. Then your current memory can no longer be used, you need DDR3 and at higher speeds. Why invest in more memory now, when you can be pretty certain that in a years time you have to buy new memory anyway? The advantage of 16 G over 8 G will be marginal with a 32 bit application like PR.

Have 8 Gb ram now, will 16 gb be...

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the knock of reality, and saving me some money.?I always appreciate your input as always

Harm.?Thank you.

Dave.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Hi again Harm,

Got a good question I hope.... what happens if I don't upgrade my system to an i7 chip ? ... and I upgrade to CS5 on my system,

and also Windows 7 64 as an OS... will this system I own be able to use that 16 gigs if I had it ?

Dave

With an i7, it'll most likely be either 12GB or 24 GB.?(The new tripple-channel memory uses multiples of 3, not 2.)

To ask about Win7 and your existing motherboard and memory, you might want to go to Win7 Help http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro/ to ask if anyone has that combination

Yes, assuming CS5 is 64 bits, but that has not been confirmed, that is the hope a lot of us have expressed.

David, forgive me for not remembering whether you edit AVCHD. If you do, you may want to wait for the Gulftown introduction, as that will almost certainly lead to a reduction in i7 prices and that is about the minimum requirement for this material. A quad core is not fast enough. I would take it in small steps. Your move to 8 GB will help significantly. Try the PPBM benchmark (http://ppbm4.com) and see how well your system compares to others. That will also show you whether keeping your current system a bit longer, say for another 2-3 years might be a better alternative to getting a new system next year. But keep in mind that with each new release of Adobe software, the system requirements go up.

  • great wear
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment