Sunday, April 4, 2010

Help with frame selecting and...

Have been up and running with Indesign, after my life with PageMaker.....?and I'm still having trouble working with the frames.

Suppose I have a simple one page 'layout' that has a rule around the whole page?And I want to select one paragraph frame and a headline within this area---- the whole page selects!?And then I have to deselect everything, and it drives me crazy.?How do you not accidentally select everything else on the page???

What is the proper way to deselect items as well?

Help with frame selecting and...

It does take a while to get used to selecting in ID when you come from Pagemaker. When you marquee in ID, if you touch it, you select it, as opposed to having to surround each item as you are used to.

I usually use a layer for the page border frame and just lock it, then add another layer (or more) above (or below) for the other stuff. It actually is very fast, and an organized set of layers is a time saver for me.

To remove an item form a selection, hold the shift key while clicking on it or dragging. Add to a selection the same way by holding Shift and clicking or dragging on unselected objects. I often marquee select a large group if objects, then Shift to deselect one or two because that's faster than selecting 18 one by one.

As a former Pagemaker user, I think the thing I loved the most was being able to apply a stroke to a frame instead of running that stupid keyline utility and having the keyline get separated from the image when ungrouping.

Peter

Help with frame selecting and...

Hold down the command key and select a second time over where your text frame sits. This will select the item below your frame box. Then under Object/arrange, you can bring the text box to the front - or select the frame box and Object/arrange sending the box frame to the back and then select the text frame which now sits on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment