Friday, April 2, 2010

CS2 Reinstalled - Now Won't Open

Several weeks ago, iMac G5 crashed.?Reinstalled Mac OS (archive and install) and updated all the way back to 10.4.11.?Moved files from Previous System to new System.?Clearly didn't get 'em all moved.?Photoshop CS2 was a?little erratic, but it worked.?(Illustrator CS2 worked fine).

Several days ago, a handful of fonts totally disappeared from Suitcase Fusion, which, until then has been quite reliable.?(Fonts couldn't be found anywhere on computer.)?Suitcase Fusion support recommended reinstalling the application and then recreating Suitcase Fusion's Font Vault.?Successfully completed.

Then Photoshop wouldn't open.?Decided it was time to uninstall CS2 and reinstall it.?Followed Adobe's enclosed pdf of uninstall instructions.?Clearly didn't get me totally installed because the installation DVDs wouldn't allow the reinstall.?Detective work led to removing more obtuse files.?Ah-ha.?Now, CS2 DVDs would allow installation.?Installed successfully.?Ran all upgrades.

Now Photoshop and Illustrator won't open.?(I don't use InDesign or GoLive.?Haven't tried Acrobat.)?Both Photoshop and Illustrator go thru almost all their process of opening and then, just before opening should be complete, they crash.?In the ''Report to Apple'' window, both reveal almost the same problem:

PHOTOSHOP

Exception:?EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes:?KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbf7ffad0

ILLUSTRATOR

Exception:?EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes:?KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbf7ffaa0

Suggestions to get me back on track would be greatly appreciated.?Thanks, Bill

CS2 Reinstalled - Now Won't Open

Hi Bill,

Try re-creating Photoshop's preferences file to see if that solves the problem. To re-create the preferences file, start the application while holding down Command+Option+Shift. Then, click Yes to the message, ''Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?'' Of course, you'll then need to redo your personal preferences (Photoshop %26gt; Preferences).

If that doesn't work, Open the User's Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the entire Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings folder to the Trash. It will be replaced when you start Photoshop.

If that solves the problem, then do the same thing with Illustrator.

CS2 Reinstalled - Now Won't Open

Thanks so much, Artdoer, for the two suggestions.?Tried 'em both, but neither solved the problem

I'm still looking for help.?I'm a little panicky.?Deadline looming.

thanks,

Bill

does Photoshop work in a new user.

One other thought, since the error message you're getting suggest that the programs are trying to access unmapped memory, I suppose it's possible that you have some bad or loosely seated RAM. How much RAM do you have installed Bill and have you recently added some?

Thanks for the suggestions, but still no luck.

1) Photoshop failed to open in an alternate user.?Same error message in the ''Send to Apple'' window.

2) The machine is maxed out at 2GB RAM.?I've not opened the case in more than 6 months.?''About this Mac'' says there's 2GB RAM.

A thought -- should I try to uninstall all of Photoshop and Illustrator again and then reinstall only these two applications??(Acrobat and InDesign open just fine after the reinstall of a couple of days ago.?I didn't install GoLive b/c I don't use it.)

If yes, can someone point me to better instructions for uninstalling Photoshop and Illustrator than the incomplete information in the ''How to Uninstall'' on the first disc of the CS2 installation set??As I wrote earlier, when I use these instructions several days ago, all the applications were grayed-out in the installer b/c components were still scattered about.?Using Spotlight, I searched for every single file that seemed to have something to do w/ the various CS2 applications, deleted those files, and then the installer showed the applications as active.?That's when I executed the reinstall that has only half the applications working.

My continued thanks for any guidance ...

Bill

Bill,

I think your idea of reinstalling the two applications is a good one, I'd sure give that a try. As far as any better instructions for uninstalling... I have never had to uninstall Photoshop, and I don't have Illustrator, so I can't be much help there. Hopefully, someone else will have some ideas in that area. Anyway, I hope you get the problem solved soon; I'll be watching for your forthcoming success post :-)

I would do an Archive and Install of the OS first.

I'm reluctant to do that.?That's what started this unfortunate chain of events in the first place ...?

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Bill

Hi.?I was having a very similar problem.?My old drive crashed.?Installed a new drive and all my aps.?Photoshop was working fine for awhile. Then it will not open at all. Was getting the same error message as you.?Found some info on another site and it worked!?Took the plug-ins folder completely out of the Photoshop folder and placed it on the desktop.?CS2 opened!?

Also tried this: Put folder back to original location.?Changed the name of the Twain plug-in (in the plug-ins folder) by putting a ~ (tilde) before the T.?The program now opens.?

No comments:

Post a Comment