Sunday, April 4, 2010

Document becomes progressively blurry...

This is going to be hard to explain but whenever I open a PDF document for editing or creation in Acrobat 9 CS4 (version 9.1.3), the document gets blurry after moving the cursor even just a few pixels anywhere on the screen.

Here are two screenshots of it happening:

First opening the file -

After moving the cursor around for a bit -

As you can see, the document becomes blurry for some odd reason.

Here's another example: (All information entered is fake, so don't fret.?I'm filling it out for a tax preparation course I'm taking.)

Opened:

After moving cursor (even just a few pixels across the screen):

It's getting on my nerves honestly.

I've gotten this problem SINCE Windows XP SP3.?It reappeared again when I did a clean install of Vista x64 SP1 and reinstalled Acrobat 9 CS4.?Now, I'm on Windows 7 RTM x64 and again it is a clean installation.?Same problem appears.?So, it's either one of two things:

- my video card

- or Acrobat 9 itself

I've been using Catalyst 8.5 to 9.3 on XP SP3 before I switched over to Vista x64.?Then, Catalyst 9.4 to 9.6 in Vista x64.?By Windows 7 RTM x64, Catalyst 9.7 to 9.9, where I am at now.

Only thing that hasn't changed are the hardware specs through all 3 operating systems:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE

4 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD3870 (Catalyst 9.9 currently)

MSI K9A2 CF motherboard (version 1.A bios, most current)

Below are the settings I'm using and have tested/tried for Acrobat 9 CS4:

Page Display - Single Page; Zoom 100%

3D %26amp; Multimedia - Switched between Software, DirectX 8 and DirectX 9 (current setting); Unchecking and checking Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards; Enable double-sided rendering

Settings in Catalyst 9.9 currently:

- Catalyst AI disabled

- AA set to 8X, all filters tried; currently set to Narrow-tent

- Adaptive AA set to Quality

- Anisitropic Filtering set to 8X

- Mip-map set to High Quality

If anyone here can help me fix this, you'll be my hero.?I use Acrobat daily for work so I really like this problem fixed.

Thank you.

Document becomes progressively blurry...

I've also tried setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3 and Vista, problem still creeps up.?Seeing that I've got this problem since XP SP3 with Catalyst 8.5 then, I don't think reverting to an older driver version would help at all.

I've tried changing a few settings in Catalyst, and it doesn't fix it.

Yes, I'm bumping my thread.

I'll keep playing around with the settings in Acrobat Pro, maybe there is something there I missed.

I'll also try to record this in action and post it here if I can find a good screen recorder that won't crash on me.

Document becomes progressively blurry...

Strange. All I can think of is are the display preference, specifically the smoothing. If you post your display preferences, maybe some folks can duplicate the problem or see something strange right off. The fact that it starts out clean (assuming it stays clean if you don't touch it) is strange in any case.

Here's a video of it in action:

Here are the Page Display and 3D %26amp; Multimedia settings:

If the video is too blurry, I'll increase the bitrate.?I currently compressed it at 480 kbits/sec at 1280 x 720 resolution.

I have to agree it is strange. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. Bill

I had the same problem, it was driving me nuts.?Finally, I found the solution.?You guys were on the right track, its in the Adobe Reader preferences, under Page Display options, Rendering section.?Uncheck ''Use 2D graphics acceleration'' and you should be cured!

Something else I found out is that Adobe Acrobat is affected by the 3D settings in Catalyst drivers.?I am unsure if that's the same in the Nvidia drivers as well.

If you set everything to ''Use application settings'' in Catalyst Control Center, the problem disappears.

Your solution works too by disabling 2D graphics acceleration means I can go back to the older settings and Acrobat won't be affected by the AA, anisotropic filter, and Mip-map settings in CCC.?I guess when Acrobat is treated like a 3D game, it tried to filter/smooth out the documents.?

@tsales51314: Thank you so much for the answer! I thought I was alone with this problem, but I guess not. My sanity and eye sight are restored now. http://forums.adobe.com/people/tsales51314

No comments:

Post a Comment